To clean the board, or not?
  • I’m fairly new to this stuff, besides guitar pedals.
    I was wondering if you recommend that the soldering sputz be cleaned off the boards?
    (Your pics show that you still have it on your board)
    -steveau

• i have it all over the place. after some time it can be removed easily by scratching a little, as i found out just recently. i found it looks much better if cleaned, so it seems i’m changing opinion and will try cleaning it right after soldering with chemicals and / or water. i’ll have to find the thread again with the recommendations.

• I use warm water and a toothbrush – but only with this stuff (water soluble flux) Kester 24-6337-6403 331 Organic Water Soluble Cored Wire Sn63/Pb37, 66 Core, 031“dia.

The water soluble flux idea was from someone on this forum (thanks!). I stop washing before the switches, pots and plugs.

• I think the diy solution for flux remover is part Isopropyl alcohol and part nail polish remover. Do a search on youtube.

• I’ve not bothered myself, but it makes your boards look ugly if you don’t.

• I’m going to experiment with Methylated spirits on some Ambika voicecards soon, will report how it goes. I’ve personally never bothered with my own builds before but my Ambika mainboard looks pretty icky from the top, so something needs to be done…

• Methylated spirits works ok on rosin core solder but not great, you have to put a lot of it and put a lot of energy into it.
    I’ve also switched to water soluble cored Kester and never looked back.

• scratching it away works fine for me, just like use of a chipping hammer to remove welding slag. the worst parts are only around heavily heated pads anyway and it’s still faster than washing, rinsing, drying the board even during assembly- seems pretty anal to me the whole procedure.
    not to talk about even more chemicals.

• Hello
    I used Ethanol to clean white board (4-Pole Mission), and toothpick /small brush

Before :

After :

• ethanol! convincing result!

• Ethanol is always a convincing result…...

• Methylated spirits = denatured ethanol so it will gave the same results on the board, and not quite the same result if you try to drink it ( pro tip : don’t )

• @lysander in the UK, they put purple dye and ammonia in Methylated spirits to try and stop people drinking it.

a|x

• oh fcd72 you changed your avatar tunguska™ style. i need to sell a kidney.

• @a|x
    in germany they put juniper in it as a warning sign….

• @fcd72: I read somewhere in Der Spiegel about the gin renaissance and how some enterprising Germans came up with Adler and Monkey 47. We should thank the Dutch for coming up with Genever :D

Me, I make my own gin from juniper berries I pick in a mountain forest owned by my family. I’ve been toying with the idea of using the moose warning sign as a logo and export it to Deutschland… But it remains a hobby for now.

• Really? is Jenever back in fashion? Didn’t reach Holland yet i think…I always wanted to get into brewing and distilling :D

• @jojjelito
    Over here in the Grafschaft Bentheim its called “Wacholder” and made a bit different: the just throw a hand full of junipers into ethanol AFTER distilling and wait instead of giving the junipers before and then distill. So all the ugly toxic ingredients from the juniper berries also dissolve and will strike you tomorrow morning. The indigenous Grafschafter may be used to it but me as illegal imported Alien (to fresh up the GenePool™ ) was surprised how something that tastes almost like gin can cause so many problems.

• I heard that some people in the Chicago area have taken to Swedish snaps (40% schnapps) flavored with Artemisia absinthe, bog myrtle, bitter orange, dill, St John’s wort and other very bold, sometimes bitter flavors. Oy ve!

I don’t want to think of what will happen to middle America if this takes hold and they start to drink as heavily as we do during some social gatherings. Then their crawfish boil mutates into a proper, booze-laden crayfish party :D

The drink in Chicagoland is “Jeppson”:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeppson’s_Malört or malort. Hehe, poor hipsters if they take to this. It’s what’s separating the men from the boys.

• Swedish schnapps, holy cow! People drink that? It’s not just for cleaning circuit boards/ industrial solvent? (I thought South Texas had the nastiest liquor – Mezscal, replete with a cute, little gusano (worm) in every bottle. No idea why/don’t want to know why.)

• in okinawa i have seen snakes in the bottom of their booze, shochu – other places do the same , also with lizards

• Just use this stuff instead of ethanol.. Might make your PCB smell spicy & you drunk at the end :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion