Anushri Drums Start Behavior
  • I’ve been running into an issue when I press Start on the Anushri, the drums don’t start up in a “clean” way. Here’s how it sounds:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30952226/anushri_drum_start.mp3

Is there something I can do differently to avoid the pops/stutters?

Also, have I mentioned how much I love the Anushri Drums yet? ;)

• This is part of the 8 bit nature of the drums on the anushri … That’s why they sound great but lofi too!

• That’s because of the sudden big DC offset when the drums start. The only way to avoid that would be to leave the signal at a value of 128 (out of 255) when the drums are off. This would mean a 31kHz whine leaking to the output.

• Hmmm I still think there’s got to be some sort of workaround, even on my part, since it doesn’t happen EVERY time.

• When you stop the drums, it takes some time for the DC offset to fade down to 0. That’s why it doesn’t happen every time – if you start/stop rapidly it won’t happen.

• Ah! That’s what I was kinda thinking: a safe place to stop it so it starts ok! When I’m kicking off a song live, I’ll either ride the volume or mute the mixer channel, start/stop, unmute, start!

Thanks @pichenttes! Wrote a new song last night with our drummer on keys and Anushi filled in on drums. Gonna try rocking 2 MIDI expression pedals to adjust saturation while I’m guitaring. :D

• @pichennetes
    what do you mean with this
    “The only way to avoid that would be to leave the signal at a value of 128 (out of 255) when the drums are off. This would mean a 31kHz whine leaking to the output”
    and how can i do this to avoid the noise?

• The Anushri drum signal does not come from a DAC, but from a PWM pin on the MCU.

If you set the PWM duty cycle to 0 or 255 when the drums are not playing, you get either a constant 0V or +5V, and that’s a DC offset, causing a “pop”. But that gives you relatively “clean” silence.

If you set the PWM duty cycle to 128 when the drums are not playing, you don’t get any DC offset, but the output signal at rest is a square wave at 31kHz. You won’t hear it, but there’s some point in your signal chain where it could be heard back.

You can change this line to write 128 in the buffer instead of sample_

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion