Change to Euro procedure.
  • Hi, I just got a built 9v Anushri, in a box, but with the in/out panel un-connected. I want to turn it into a Euro version.
    (I apologise if this has been done many times in this forum, but its many pages long now, didnt find my exact question)

Question #1
    First I desoldered the audio jacks, (it doesnt fit in my rack with them anyway) and removed the voltage chip as per the instructions on the site.
    For now I have left the midi jacks in place (pending the answer to this question)

I thought I would check it out in this state.

Everything powered up no trouble: And by feeding it a clock, and cabling into either teh audio out or the drums out, I got the drum machine to work. Nice! (but see question #3)

So then to the synth—- no sign of it (quicky question, SHOULD it play with just a jack in audio, and maybe a press of sequencer start? OR do I have to program the seq from a midi keyboard for anything to be heard) Anyway, I plugged in a gate and CV from my Klee sequencer, and still nothing from the synth voice.

However, because I haven’t yet wired up the NEW jacks that will be on the in/out panel, Im wondering that by removing the jacks have I also removed a normalisation using the jack switches, and after finishing the job, it will work?

Question #2
    Is it necessary to completely remove the midi sockets on the Anushri before connecting to the midi sockets on the in/out panel? (its quite a job to remove 5 big connections without a bit of pcb burning…)
    Or could I connect to the pads on the revese of the board, OR… are there some other points I could connect to? I notice an unused series of solder points in the centre of the board… (marked EN CLK SER GND +5) What is that for?

Question 3#
    The operation of the drum machine is fantastic! I also have GRIDS and I love that its the same methodology as that) However, the kick drum sound is a) REALLY long… and b) very full of 8bit(ish) artifacts. The artifacts I could live with if the kick was shorter, but as it stands, I hear 8bit-ish buzzing the whole time… Plus I have a feeling it might destroy PAs, and certainly the mix, with this much bass up the whole time…

Sorry for huge post..

Mark

• I see I have written a long and daunting question that no-one will answer… again. I never learn.

One evening later:
    I realise that the answer to Q1 is mute, cos I HAVE managed to get Anushri to play. Im finding it a bit of a head f*** though. I assume this will pass.

But I need some clarification.

As of now I still dont have a midi socket wired up, as Im awaiting an answer to #2 above, but was wondering, Im not actually planning on using midi at all. I know this rules out the sequencer, but what of the Digital DCO... I dont quite get the relationship here or what knobs affect which oscillator.

So im plugged into the gate and CV in only (havent checked for tuning yet) and she played fine for a bit, I went into the second menu, and I tried the arp, again something worked, but now I got confused about whether my CV sequence was bing affected by the arp at the same time, or does the arp “take over”

... and NOW.. even worse, Ive got it into some kind of mode where all I hear is clicks, like a super closed ADSR. its is playing a rhythm, which I think is coming from the arp, but I cant now open up my ADSR at all.

Any help with this one, I realise ive rambled on again..
    damn…

Mark

• > Is it necessary to completely remove the midi sockets on the Anushri

No.

> However, the kick drum sound is a) REALLY long… and b) very full of 8bit(ish) artifacts

Some of the kick settings are not that long… but they are all noisy.

> but what of the Digital DCO

This rules it out too. The CPU isn’t connected in any way to the incoming CV – the CVs go straight to the analog section.

> and I tried the arp, again something worked

You can only uses the arpeggiator with MIDI – again, the arpeggiator doesn’t “see” the CV, the CV only impacts the frequency of the VCO.

• Thanks you answered some issues there.
    I can report that I THINK that my gate clicking and nothing else was probably caused by Anushri just pushing my Euro PSU over the edge of its available power, although I did have some functionality before. After removing the power from some other potential power hogs, I got normal operation, apart from some user misunderstanding.

Just a few questions regarding your reply:

>The CPU isn’t connected in any way to the incoming CV – the CVs go straight to the analog section.

OK, so what you are saying its that when I sequence via CV/gate I will NOT even hear the DCO, or that it will be audible in some situations, just not sequencing?
    Because I definatley heard 2 tones, one that was probably the analog, sequencing away from CV, and one droney one. Can I mute the digital tone somehow? IS that the square on the square/triangle mix knob, or is that the analog being morphed?

>You can only uses the arpeggiator with MIDI – again, the arpeggiator doesn’t “see” the CV, the >CV only impacts the frequency of the VCO.

Well you say that, the arp only works with midi, but what do you mean? Midi clock? Or midi notes?
    I HAVE definitely had some operation of the arp even though I haven’t had any midi plugged in at all. Or was I in that HOLD long press knob twiddle mode?

More experimenting tonight I guess…

MArk

• Anushri is NOT a Eurorack module. It is a MIDI synth with patch points that can be installed in a Eurorack case.

> OK, so what you are saying its that when I sequence via CV/gate I will NOT even hear the DCO, or that it will be audible in some situations, just not sequencing?

The DCO plays according to the received MIDI note. When no MIDI data is sent to the synth, it keeps droning at a constant pitch.

> Because I definatley heard 2 tones, one that was probably the analog, sequencing away from CV, and one droney one

That’s correct.

> Can I mute the digital tone somehow?

Yes, set the sub level knob to 0, or set the sub/dco switch to one of the two sub (-1 or -2 octave) positions.

> IS that the square on the square/triangle mix knob, or is that the analog being morphed?

The square/sawtooth mix knob controls the two waveforms from the VCO.

> Well you say that, the arp only works with midi, but what do you mean? Midi clock? Or midi notes?

MIDI notes.

> I HAVE definitely had some operation of the arp

You heard the arpeggiator rhythmic pattern triggering the envelope ; but nothing was arpeggiated.