T-60b and IEC 320 Switch Wiring ?
  • Hello

I am building Frank’s eurorack case which he offered while a go.

can somebody shed some lights how should I wire these things together ?

Thanks in advance

Capture.JPG
    315 x 365 - 26K
    elektrostecker_anschliessen_0011.jpg
    800 x 600 - 53K
    Mean_Well-T-60B-image.jpg
    640 x 480 - 60K
  • How about this:
    (the pins used for the switch depend on the ON/OFF marking on the outside.)

power_wiring.jpg
    1625 x 911 - 279K
  • waoow, I did not expect such complete and at a point answer; Thanks @Picard

Here is the front side of the switch. I will appreciate if you could look at it.

Thanks

front.JPG
    297 x 405 - 26K
  • Personally I prefer a switch which breaks both live and neutral.

You should also wire in a fuse holder or use a fused switchable socket.

• If you look closely the switch integrates a fuse.

• Ah in the middle, yep. the dealextreme was covering that.

• When I closely look at IEC 320 Switch It shows Live and Neutral like this but @Picard suggest I need to do it otherway arround.I am confused :(

db730c578ab494bd7b79d5ffd486ac.png
    315 x 365 - 110K
  • Work it out with a multimeter? here’s the pinout of IEC plug and socket.

http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/pin-out/iec.php

• The metal piece at your “L” label only connects to the fuse and the other side of the fuse is the piece below the “N” piece. And that should be connected to the switch (short blue wire). For the right switch pins you simply could check with a continuity tester which pins are open and closed for the corresponding ON/OFF position.

• @Picard Isn’t it supposed to connect (L)ive from IEC Female Cable to L at T-60B but in your diagram Brown cable goes to N at switch means (N)eutral on IEC Female Cable

af1100b4830ee123e9e139d2968c52_jpg__1625×911_.png
    423 x 441 - 84K
  • For this purpose L and N are interchangeable.

• Many plugs (German ones for example) can be plugged both ways into the socket – so the L and N markings have no real meaning. Its better to switch off both lines for safety.

• @TheSlowGrowth I am in Switzerland and we have 3 pin plugs like the image posted above I assume they can not be plugged other way arround. am I correct ?

• Well there’s no real problem, in some cases the phase matters, but not often.

Look at a figure of 8 plug, that is reversible.

• Thanks @Picard @TheSlowGrowth @6581punk

I have made it and it works :)

• I would try to cover the terminal area and back of the socket with something. You might decide to tinker and forget to unplug the mains cable.

• @6581punk Thanks for the headsup

Mission completed

• Hey guys, sorry for resurrecting this topic from the dead, I was finally able to get a hold of a proper fuse to make it work and it seems like when I power it on, I have no -12V at all (as per the LEDs on the boards). On the RT-65B I have a V2, V3 and NC. I made some tests to see if I could be able to place the crimps around and see if it works but it doesn’t seem to work.
    Anybody sees something that I don’t see?

IMG_20160515_161652(web).jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 808K
    IMG_20160515_161706web.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 705K
  • Firstly, have you checked the -12v crimp? it’s possible to crimp onto the cable insulation and get a dodgy connection.

• 6581punk : that was exactly the issue. I was just really insecure about putting the right connections onto the PSU.

Thanks a lot for everybody on the MI board for the knowledge about electricity and mains. I feel more confident now :)

• What connector would your recommend to carry on power from one @fcd72 busboard/case to another busboard/case ?

I bought male/female Mini DIN 4 . would they work ? Maybe I am lucky and @fcd72 might shed some light what was his plan when he designed case :) with round holes

images.jpg
    64 x 64 - 996B
    imgres.jpg
    120 x 128 - 1K
  • I would recommend giving them both a separate power supply…

• I soldered wires from board to board, although I didn’t use the fcd72 boards.

Then again, I’m using a overkill power supply, so I know I won’t be going over its limits any time soon in my 9U rack.

• I power 9 HU fully loaded without any problems with my T-60b.

• I was planing for multipole DIN Connectors as you have to connect 4 Rails – turns out you don’t want to power a whole 9U over a 8 Pin DIN Connector…. so newer cases have 230V In and Thru Holes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion