How much are professional custom metal enclosures?
  • Hey Everyone,

Does anyone know the cost of custom professional metal enclosures, including screen printing and/or engraving? I want to build an Anushri with a custom metal case? Is it possible to get one made for under $50 USD? If so can you recommend any companies or give me any advice?

Something like this one, except without the wooden ears:

http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/5545/anushri-eurorack-to-tabletop/p2

Thanks!

• In the $600-$1200 range – because of the tooling and design cost.

The only way to lower the cost is to buy a case someone else has designed – so that the tooling costs are mutualized over 50 or so units. Adrian’s cases are very cost effective.

• ..and look great!

a|x

• @pichnettes: Thank you! A couple of questions though:

-What is “tooling”?
    -When you say “buy a case someone else designed” do you mean buy a case someone else has designed and then also manufactured? Or do you mean use someone else’s design and then send it off to a company to be manufactured myself?

But yes, I will message Adrian about his cases, that seems like a much more cost effective plan haha!

• > What is “tooling”?

The cost of developing and manufacturing all the tools or CNC programs that will be used to make the case. At the very least, the cost of the silkscreen.

> do you mean buy a case someone else has designed and then also manufactured?

Yes.

> Or do you mean use someone else’s design and then send it off to a company to be manufactured myself?

This won’t save any cost.

• Awesome. Thanks for the info. That’s good to know for future projects.