800€ distortion/filter/eq/LFO
  • https://www.elektron.se/products/analog-heat/

• Have been waiting for the reveal, but I have to say I’m not that impressed. Seems a bit limited to me. Hey, they have the algorithms for some nice reverb, delay, etc. The AD/DA is there as well and a beefier processor doesn’t cost a lot. For ~30$ more you could have a box with way more FX.
    But it wouldn’t be purely analog anymore. Maybe that’s the reason?

Anyways, I’m surprised to see it doesn’t have a sequencer.

• Kinda makes sense for them to take some of the analog circuitry they’ve designed for the AR and A4/AK as well as their Overbridge stuff and do a box like this.

It looks like it’s the exact same 2-pole multimode filter as the second filter on the A4 and the one in the AR. You’d kinda expect to see a 4-pole on an external filter box like this. Also, this filter sounds nice, but it doesn’t exactly have a lot of character (the 4-pole ladder filter from the A4/AK does, I think).

It’s also a bit weird that it doesn’t include the compressor from the AR.

Listening to the demos, they seem to have included a nice selection of distortion types. This could be a convenient box for people who mostly work in-the-box and who would feel a need to add some “real analogue” to their productions.

Having said that, I really don’t really hear anything especially exciting. I already own a bunch of effect pedals that can give me more interesting results for a lot less money and these days there are excellent options for analogue modelled filters, drive, and distortion if I would want to keep it in the box.

• That’s the question… not sure what the target audience is for this…

• Re filters: I always found the 4 pole on the AK very lame and boring (surprised to read you find it characterful). The 2 pole was okay but not outstanding either. But the Rytms filter really blew me away. As much as I want to believe it… I just can’t imagine the AR and A4/AK have the same 2 pole filter in them.

Re over bridge: yes it makes sense to make a box like that. They put much work into overbridge and surely they will use it in many more products. But this thing… for 800 bucks, I don’t see this becoming a success.

Also it seems to me like this thing is primarily useful in the studio. Which is interesting as their other products lean towards live performance heavily.

• I suppose some people will need to fill all the slots on their Overhub™? I guess that integration must be the real selling point here, because you could get a Sherman Filterbank or an OTO Biscuit for a lot less dough.

• They either know something we don’t… or they did the wrong market analysis. The main problem with this seems to be that the perceived value of such an FX box is not close to the sum they ask for it… we’d probably be a bit more impressed if they had tried to sell it for 599€.
    Then of course 800€ might the sum they need to ask for this to make sense financially, but I wonder how many people are really willing to spend this much just for having something analogue.

• “Also it seems to me like this thing is primarily useful in the studio.”

Wouldn’t it better if it were a rackmount device then ?

• The main problem with this seems to be that the perceived value of such an FX box is not close to the sum they ask for it…

I think this is probably true for all Elektron gear. ;)

• It says 750 usd

• @Varthdader It’s $749/€799/£679. Us Europeans have gotten so Americanized that we’re now also referring to our euros as “bucks”. ;)

• Sorry for sounding like “that guy” but their intro video is more than a bit underwhelming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbzamlkEzMo

Sure, that’s some decent fuzz bass, but I already own all the pedals I’d ever need to do that.

• People seem to be willing to pay for a Waldorf 4 pole, does this do the same sort of thing?

• ^
    Maybe more like a mini afb16?

I don’t use the computer much so it’s not for me but this seems like it could be a fun audio interface for the in the box crowd. (Has anybody ever used ‘fun’ and ‘audio interface’ in the same sentence before?)

• Has anybody ever used ‘fun’ and ‘audio interface’ in the same sentence before?

K-Mix.

• I think this is probably true for all Elektron gear. ;)

I just bought an Octatrack and spent a huge amount of money on it for my parameters. but it felt like a good investment. It does feel worth its money. I mean, something like 1K would probably have been a more “digestible” price for it, but then I get the fact that they aren’t Roland or Korg and well. The OT feels like you just bought a nice mercedes, after having messed with some lousy cheapo cars for a long time (just maybe with a couple of more bugs to squash).

• …makes me want to search for my 4Pole on the Attic.

• I have a thing for stereo filters so I’m always in the market for one…this one says stereo on the box but I don’t really hear in-your-face-stereo in the examples. Despite all the distortion it doesn’t sound very colorful. Love the idea, but besides the multimode and two CV inputs (can be used for 2 expression pedals?) I don’t see a reason to sell my stereo shruthi or waldorf x-pole. Stereo shruthi has an amazing sounding 2 pole, x-pole has a great distortion and 4pole. Quality and control looks good though and is probably worth the price. Would’ve been an instabuy with chorus / reverb/ delay. X-pole was probably more expensive when it came out. Mutators are way more expensive. Evolvers are cheaper. Stereo Shruthi plus good distortion is probably cheaper.

• I just hope this means they decide to make a standalone midi sequencer!

• Too much overlap with octatrack.

• Would be great to see an Octatrack MKII with sd card and overbridge etc.

• just hope this means they decide to make a standalone midi sequencer!

Would be great to see an Octatrack MKII with sd card and overbridge etc.

IMHO all of this is unlikely to happen.

It seems that Elektron sells a hell of a lot more units from their Analog series than they sell Octatracks. The OT has been out of stock repeatedly throughout the last few years, probably as a result of giving production priority to the other boxes as these allow larger runs. The firmware has mostly seen bugfix releases without any new features and especially the sequencer seems to be lagging behind in terms of features.

It also seems that Elektron is no longer very interested in boxes that allowed you to do a full track within a single unit. This probably makes sense given the current state of the market.

By now, most people have accepted that it makes sense to use a DAW in some shape or form, even if it’s only for a final mix and arrangement. I don’t think there are very many people left (except maybe for Richard D. James) who produce by sequencing everything over MIDI while mixing on an outboard desk.

A lot of new relatively low-priced gear has become available over the years, lowering the value perception for the type of all-in products Elektron is known for, while the people who like to spend more money have gotten a lot more options to do so in the Eurorack world.

Overbridge clearly is an effort to make sure their products continue to be relevant for people who mostly use their computer, or who at some point need to move to their computer to finish up and release their work. Doing this really only makes sense as long as the product does something analogue which suggests that it can’t be replicated on a computer.

I wouldn’t be terribly surprised to see Elektron release an 8-voice monotimbral analogue poly without a sequencer at some point, for example.

• I agree OT mk2 is not going to happen. let’s hope they at least
    keep bugfixing it.

• Sold mine months ago… Toraiz might replace it.

• Let’s hope they at least keep bugfixing it.

They have a good track record in that regard, so I don’t think there is any need to worry about that.

• Nothing that can’t be done with other gear (which means open architecture and closer to taste). Strangely enough the Heat got me into a saturation/filter search and I’m going to give the Restyler a try after reading favorable reviews (the fact that most people consider it a DJ tool although it’s more than that works to its favor). Still, I’m interested in the Heat but I’d be willing to pay up to 500 for something like it. Could be a different case if it contained a stereo compressor (the envelope follower is a step to the right direction but not ideal) and a fully parametric EQ section. I assume that since the path is fully analog, adding the option for four tracks or paralleling processing with different distortion types won’t be an option.

It’s funny how there’s a post over at Elektronauts from someone who works/worked at Elektron who claims that this box has more going for it than advertised, but no one seems to have paid any attention to it. I’m curious to say the least. For me it will come down to two things: a) if this will act as a nice saturation/glue-things-together device for complete stereo tracks, b) what the price of second hand will be in a year’s time. Not gonna spend 800 on something like this, no sir.

“K-Mix”

Oh, that’s very much on the money. I absolutely love mine, which makes the whole OB & Audio Interface idea of the Heat just stupid; why would I consider the addition of a 2X2 audio interface as one of its features ? I now have 3 audio cards in my studio. Why would I ever need a fourth one ? Also, so many people at Elektronauts complaining that Elektron didn’t procude a nice standalone mixer and I want to make an account and start posting “K-Mix” under each and every post that complaints about that.

• If you want some stereo “mix glue” in hardware format, you might want get an RNC (clean) or an RNLA (slightly dirty & gooey).

Strangely enough the Heat got me into a saturation/filter search…

Err, yeah. Same here. I kinda want a Sherman filterbank now…

• Well… I guess we’d all like to have a Filterbank, don’t we? :D

• Ι sold my Sherman a few weeks back :P I mean, you can definitely buy a used SF2 for far less than 800 euro so if that’s what you’re looking for … For my tastes and from what I gathered, the Restyler is a tamer version of the FB2, more oriented for complete mixes compared to the FB2. And I happen to own an RNLA so we can check that out of the list! The thing is, I want to record in quad ! So, I want a few of these things that make your mixes “nicer” but don’t break the bank.

I’m still curious if the Saturation algos of the Heat will be nice on stereo mixes. A 20% wet, with low gain on the acoustic base sample made the online demo very interesting for me. But on a mix bus I don’t know …

• I’ve never used a sherman but I had a restyler for a little while, I liked what you could do with the envelope follower on different bands but was never that fond of the sound of the filter itself. To my ears there are much nicer sounding filters (though most are not stereo).

I kinda want to build a stereo serge resonant eq.

• @soup

The Restyler filter pretty much sounds like the SF2 filter if not a little tamer. The crazy resonance is there, the Sherman character is there (at least from all the videos I watched). Got the Serge Resonant EQ in Eurorack if you need more info on that. Since I’m blabbing on about this subject, here’s my personal “cheap stuff to use on the mix bus”, I’d love to hear what you guys use to make your mixes more interesting, a little more dense.

K-Mix (internal EQ, Compressor, Gate,), Restyler (soon), Vermona EQ (secret weapon), RNLA, Fe Transormer DI x 2, Serge Resonant EQ (in Doepfer Beauty case), Akai Hexacomp, DBX MC6 and currently considering adding a Heat … oh and also the lovely V-Verb pro has a decent compressor.

EDIT

And I now have the bug for 500-series. Great. Nice. The Colour Palette looks like a great option (rumpefilter you did a great job on the Euro version!), get 3-4 of these in a lunchbox, add the cards and tweak away. facepalm

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion