Switches polarization
  • Hi all!
    Here i am assembling my (first) Shruthi; everything goes fine, but i’m not sure if the 6 switches are polarized or not.
    The assembly instructions don’t speak about polarization, but on the PCB every pin has own number.
    Maybe someone of you remember this thing?

Thanks!

Fede

• Shouldn’t be polarized. Two pins should be connected on each side.

Try measuring the resistance on the pins when you click the switch, to see what is connected to what.

• Hi Vcent, thanks.
    This doubt comes due to a little draw between pins n°1 and 3, like shown in the attached pic.

So, what do you suggest? Which kind of values should i retrieve from the measurement, and after been measured, how should i behave?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5126/5231396086_cf14450670_z.jpg

• Don’t get confused by the little drawing on the board. There is no difference if you solder the pushbutton this way or that way. Almost every tact-switch I know works the same way: pins 1 and 2 are always connected, so are pin 3 and 4. If you push down the button, 1 and 2 get connected to 3 and 4.

If you want to test this with your multimeter, measure the resistance between the upper left (2) and the lower left (1) pin on your switch. There should be little to no resistance. If you push down the switch, nothing should happen. Now try the lower left (1) and the lower right pin (3): there should be no connection, so the resistance will be super-high. Now push down the button – the value should drop to very little or no resistance (circuit closed). Same for (pin 2 and 4), (4 and 1) or (2 and 3). So there is no difference in behavior if you flip the switch around. Just solder them in ;)

• Hi janniz, very kind answer. I see you so sure, so i’ll solder them without doubts. About the measuring: the curious issue is that it seems there’s no pins label onto the switch chassis, so it should be difficult to identify what’s the 1,2,3 or 4!

Anyway, let’s solder… :)

• Just start in one corner, and count from there ;)

With switches, it’s usually side A, and side B, and they connect when the switch is pressed.

For next time, look at your multimeter, and if it has a setting with a little note on it, or a speaker, or a symbol for an diode, put it on that, touch the probes to each other, and it should beep, indicating no resistance. If it beeps while held on different pins, then there’s a connection.

If there is no such mode, just put it in resistance/ohms, touch the probes to two pins, and look for a lowish resistance (may or may not be 0, depends on a variety of things). Try it on something you know is connected, like both ends of a wire, if you’re unsure.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion