Quick question about Rings loose knobs please?
  • Just wanted to double check something about Rings… the Frequency and Structure on my module are particularly loose.. more so than any other Mutable module (tides/clouds/shades). Is this normal? (I don’t have access to another Rings to compare) I just find that any slight touch on the Frequency / Structure knobs can through the whole thing out of tune, where as the other knobs (brightness / dampening / position) have way more more resistance. Thoughts (and potential fixes) welcome.

• There’s no other fix than replacing the pot (I can do it if you send me back the module).

Pot “resistance” varies from batch to batch – it could be that parts from different batches were used on your module.

• Thank you Olivier. I think I might send it in then.. any slight touch, even from a patch cable, ensures dramatic results. Could you please let me know the details for sending the unit?

• It’s not a DIY Rings, or a clone of some sorts is it? I never experienced loose knobs on Rings… but then, that doesn’t mean they can’t happen of course.

• I had this feeling of “loose” knobs on my Rings too. in fact I just checked now, they could be a little bit looser than Clouds knobs. hard to say. asked my gf. she also find them a little looser too.

anyway this feeling of loose knobs is in my situation more about how sensitive they are and that if I just move the wrong patch cable they indeed can move a little and then get the module off of tune.

by the way I’m using my modular horizontally so I doesn’t help either if a bunch of cables are on the way from Frequency and Structures.

I ended up being careful how to patch regarding this issue

• Thanks, it’s not a DIY btw… The knobs are sensitive, yes, but more on a micro scale. They don’t seem to hold their position as firmly as my other mutable knobs.. a micro movement on the Freq / Structure would make it instantly out of tune. When they turn they have a good weight to them, it’s just the micro movements which are quite fragile. I just wasn’t sure if this is normal behaviour. Don’t want to waste Olivier’s time for something that is standard..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion