Arduino Arpeggiator
  • Hello music people.
    I like to hear your thoughts about how i can bring my new
    Arpeggiator to everyones attention, it’s a play it yourself-style arpeggiator. So play the rhythm and the notes, here the rhythm is unique for this arpeggiator, and after that switch channel and the arpeggiator will follow your notes, from the chord you play, in the previous made pattern. This uniqeu rhythm can be stored and called back, so play in, let’s say 4,  different rhythms, patterns, store them and switch channel and play chords and change the rhythm of the arpeggiator.
    It ‘looks’ like the Midipal in concept. Mr Gillet developed the Midipal as hardware and maybe it’s a good idea for me to develop
    this as hardware. It’s an Arduino board and a midi in and out and maybe some knobs.
    Is there a way to test my code (arduino) inside the Midipal just for testing what kind of hardware i can use.
    And how woukd i proceed to use the same concept as the Midipal, so make a bootloader for my Arduino-hardware
    so only my developed code can be put in it via sysex.
    Groove on,
    Dian from the Netherlands
    More to come.

• That sounds like something at least one of my keyboards does.
    Record note sequence – stop recording, push single key and it plays the notes from that key.

I’m not sure that the arduino can be adapted for bootloading, but I could be wrong.

• You’d have to rewrite your arduino code for midipal. Its not trivial to “merge” a arduino project into another non-arduino project.

• This is something else. It playes the new chord in the previously played pattern.
    It’s kind of a pattern maker that can handle things on the fly. That my thing, on the fly.
    And what would be a good way to make this a hardware thing, just stuff the code into an Arduino and go. I just want to make a little demo of the code, so people can test what it is, and ones who are interested can buy an Arduino with the multi voice version of the code. But what i am interested in is, is this a good way to handle this.
    What are alternatives, thanks in advance,
    Dian from the Netherlands

Dian

• > and ones who are interested can buy an Arduino with the multi voice version of the code

You’re going to resell arduinos with special firmware? You should check if that’s legally okay first. As soon as you use a library that requires your code to be open as well, the whole idea doesn’t work anymore.

• Okay rewrite the code for Midipal is not the thing i want, i was wondering why is there a bootloader in the Midipal, and the chip inside it is a atmega 328, the same as on a Arduino board. Is this for preventing for reading the code and be able to do updates by the developer of the code, i guess Midipal works this way.
    Thanks again, Dian

• Yeah now we’re talking, how does this work then for the Midipal, and all of this midi-things. Are’n that all Arduinos. And i guess one is allowed to sell Arduinos.
    Thanks for the thinkening again, i apreciate this a lot, Dian

• And another question on what theSlowGrowth tells. I thought one can just sell or resell an Arduino.
    And it most be open when a library is open source, okay, but what does then not work.
    Thanks in advance, Dian

• The MidiPal isn’t an Arduino or a shield for an Arduino.

It just happens to use a variation of the same microcontroller chip that forms part of some Arduino models.

a|x

• Okay, thank you toneburst, so i am styck with a geat ( if i may say so myself) code and can do nothing else then keep it for myself or give it away.
    What kind of code, wich languege, can be put in hardware that can be sold.
    And is an Arduino not sellable.
    Thanks again, Dian

• > why is there a bootloader in the Midipal

This allows the firmware to be updated through MIDI.

• Yes i know Pichenettes, that’s why i came to here to ask this here, and ofcourse because i bought a few of the MI-mudules.
    Is it possible to implement a bootloader if i am willing to rewrite the firmware to C++
    Or would it be better to first sell some of my preprogrammed arduino with the arpeggiator code in it and sell them as/is without the abillity to update, and forget all the fuzz from porting the code to another platform and ‘making my thing’ compatible with another platform and maybe later on build the code in C++ when there is a lot of demand for the boards. Is it difficult to make a bootloader that accepts midi-sysex as an update, a there any links to learn more about that.
    Thanks, Dian

• An arduino is just a specific microcontroller, that runs certain code, and has certain hardware attached.
    You can make a board that has the same hardware as an arduino, but doesn’t run any of the arduino specific code, and you can sell it, but you can’t call it an arduino(that’s a protected name AFAIK).

If you use open source code from someone, and their license requires you to open source your code as well, then you have to do so.

>This is something else. It playes the new chord in the previously played pattern.
    It’s kind of a pattern maker that can handle things on the fly. That my thing, on the fly.

This still to me sounds like what at least one of my keyboards does. Record an arpeggiator pattern, play it in any chord or single note you like.

>And what would be a good way to make this a hardware thing, just stuff the code into an Arduino and go. I just want to make a little demo of the code, so people can test what it is, and ones who are interested can buy an Arduino with the multi voice version of the code.

You will have to check ALL of the libraries that you are using, to see if any of them require you to publish your code as well. Also be aware that you may be using hardware that is similar to the Arduino, but not actually IS an Arduino, which could cause problems if you’re selling this.

• > Is it possible to implement a bootloader if i am willing to rewrite the firmware to C++

The bootloader is completely unrelated to the main firmware.

You can write the bootloader in C or assembly, and it’ll still be able to upgrade the main code no matter which language was used.

> Is it difficult to make a bootloader that accepts midi-sysex as an update?

Not really

• Thanks for the reply V’cent, yes this can be done by (expensive) keyboards, i had some of them, and it was alot of pushing buttons to go to the right menu and finaly Record some thing, i did not, ofcourse, had/played them all but i find that it was not as eary as it should be, i am inspired by auto accompaniment for a very long time, and build this auto thing with max/msp, pure data and now on the Arduino and so this thing i build they all react on the playing that it is registring while you play and when you’r done handle the patterns with chords, very easy.
    I will be a few days off on vocation, and after that i will post a video on my youtube channel to show how easy it is.
    I will check the libraries for the arduino, and let you all know when the video is online on youtube and when i heva a demi code to try out for everyone who has an Arduino.
    Keep up the good music, thank you all for making such nice hardware and codes.
    Dian from teh Netherlands

• Thanks Pichenettes, i will keep you all posted with some codes, comments and Music Dian
  • Hello to you all,
    I present you my ipeggio, worktitle is Sequarp.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-DUoaQ1H-_w

It’s very easy to use, it will run on any Arduino, with Midi in and out.
    It runs on a midi-clock and synces to it. The clock can come from every source,
    it can be a keyboard, a synth, or any device, or a daw or Mobius, the looper.
    And it reacts to midi-start commands and can send Notes, CC-messages, etc, etc.
    And because it is an Arduino it can do many other things in Sync with the music that is playing at that moments, for example control lights and let robot-voice-chip speak.
    This thing is GREAt, if i may say so myself, and thats is why i made it myself this way.
    Easy to use, especialy for MuSiC on the Fly.
    Dian from the Netherlands.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion