Ripples = VCF + VCA ?
  • Hello everyone,

first of all, I’d like to apologize if the question has been already asked, and I’m sorry about my english skills too.
    Here is my question : I’m kind of new to the modular scene and I’m trying to build a “budget” eurorack. I was wondering if Ripples could replace a VCF and a VCA and be the output of my system ? Thanks in advance !

• If you want your filter and amp functions to be identical then the filter will close fully and therefore behave like a VCA.

But quite often you want them to be separate functions, you might want the filter to modulate via an LFO.

• The answer above tries to answer the question: “can a VCF be used a VCA”, but is not specific to Ripples.

Here’s a more correct answer: Ripples has a built-in VCA, with a dedicated output (LP4>VCA) and a dedicated CV input controlling VCA amplitude. The LP4>VCA output (just like the output of any other module) can be directly connected to a mixer, audio interface, etc.

• Note the VCA only acts on the output from the low-pass filter, and you can’t use the VCA without the signal first going through the filter, as there is no independent input to the VCA.

a|x

• It is a lovely filter, though :)

a|x

• you could leave the filter fully open for using just the vca though?

• True. But you can’t filter one signal, and use the VCA on another.

I think you’d still get some high-frequency rolloff, even with the filter fully open.

a|x

• Ok, thanks a lot for your answers !

• I certainly use the Ripples VCA frequently, and ‘independently’ (i.e. controlling the LP4 cutoff and VCA separately). It makes Ripples a great choice in low-HP situations. Of course there are compromises, but that’s the appeal of modular for me – the tools I use influence the choices I make and the results I achieve. If I use Ripples alongside moddemix, for example, I’ll end up going in a different direction. But primarily, being able to quickly throw some VCA control into a Ripples configuration is very useful.

If I was starting over on a limited budget, I’d certainly give serious thought to Ripples as my initial filter / VCA solution, because it’s enough to get started with and gracefully adapts to later expansion. And, of course, it sounds great!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion