MIDI Firmware Update
  • Sorry, stupid noob question. Can someone outline the procedure for updating the firmware on the Shruthi-1 via MIDI on a Mac?
    I’ve tried playing out the .sxy file via Sysex Librarian, but that doesn’t seem to do it. I get a flashing # symbol on the Shruthi screen, but nothing else seems to happen.

a|x

• Download MIOS studio and send the sysex with a delay of 1000 perchance? Worked fine for me on my MBP.
  • I simply do it the way Olivier described in the manual? Works every time for me..
    Using the C6 utility to fire of the syx file.
    You pressed S6 during power on?

• Thanks for the near-instant reply, Jojjelito.
    I just tried that. I can see something is being received on the Shruthi, but it doesn’t reboot into the new firmware. If I power-cycle it, it reboots into the old firmware. Do I have to send a sysex string before sending the firmware, to put it into firmware-reception mode?

a|x

• You need to power on the Shruthi-1 with the 6th switch pressed to put it into firmware reception mode.

• That’s the missing piece of the jigsaw, thank you pichenettes..

a|x

• Done! Thanks guys.
    Was that an RTFM question?

a|x

• From the manual:

Updating the Shruthi-1 firmware by MIDI

To update the Shruthi-1 firmware, hold the S6 switch while the synth is being powered on. Instead of being greeted by the splash screen or the filter page, the screen remains empty, and the LEDs L1, L3, L5 and L7 are lit. The Shruthi-1 is now waiting for SysEx data containing firmware update commands.

• @pichenettes hmm.. think that answers my question… sorry guys.
    In my defence, it says on the firmware page to look at the end of the manual, and there is sysex-related information at the very end of the manual (but not the relevant detail about which button to hold down, which you have to track back a bit to find).

a|x

• Hi,
    I was looking for a simple how-to do it for mac because i still dont get what I must use to send the firmware update via midi?
    Thanks
  • Its in the Manual:

Updating the Shruthi-1 firmware by MIDI

To update the Shruthi-1 firmware, hold the S6 switch while the synth is being powered on. Instead of being greeted by the splash screen or the filter page, the screen remains empty, and the LEDs L1, L3, L5 and L7 are lit. The Shruthi-1 is now waiting for SysEx data containing firmware update commands.

This data is compiled into a MIDI file you can download on the Mutable Instruments website. During the firmware update procedure, the LEDs will light up one by one – the last LED being lit will also blink as the data is received. The update takes about 1 minute. If something goes wrong during the update procedure, the Shruthi-1 is not bricked: it is possible to restart it with S6 held down, to retry the update procedure.

If you want to use a dedicated SysEx transfer tool, we recommend Elektron’s C6 tool available for both Windows and OS X, with the following timing settings

No Offence, just answering this question the 100th time ;-)

• Suggestions and translations are welcome!

• @schrab

That’s cool!!!!

• schrab, you are my hero…..

• I’ll take one on grey size XL, please.

• qp, printed upside down? =)

Heroic version special for Frank:

• T-shirt alert. Size L :D

• Just glue a Shruthi-1 to a t-shirt and walk around with a 9V battery pack :)

• But then I’ll miss the cool line art, unless I start going wild with marker pens :D

• Embarrassed: what is ‘combo’ feature?

• haha, upside down. Thats awesome!

@Titus, ya know, I was wondering the same thing! Yesterday I was quickly pressing buttons and found myself in “combo” mode. Couldn’t figure out how I did it or what it was doing! Confused and distraught, I cycled power. Meant to look it up. Methinks I will right now!

• S1+S5 to enable/disable the “combo” feature. When “combo” is enabled, the loading and saving of sequences is paired. That is to say, whenever you load sequence 15, patch 15 will be loaded too… Whenever you save patch to location 33, the current sequence will be saved to location 33 too. This is for, among others, nostalgics of the first Shruti-1 in which sequence data was always saved along with the patch.

• I did. I couldn’t find it.

• Thanks schrab!

• @ scarab, beat me to it. now I have to pitch that info from my clipboard. More binary data to fill up the landfills.

• (pdf sent to Olivier)

• I wonder if i should engrave the Combinations as Standard to the Cases….

• @fcd72 Great idea!

• @fcd, that would look pretty kickass on the bottom!

• Great idea with backplate engraving

• I love this place. So fantastically random.

• Nice one. Now if the T-shirt only made noise as well… Like the famous eierlegende Wollmilchsau™ Still, kick ass as always Schrab!

• This is awesome schrab!

• thanks for the great help! after undressing my skin tight stockings it worked!

• rosch, thanks! fixed shifted pants shape / shaded cape.

• Sorry, this is just too bizarre – I need a lie down ;-)

Martin

• Hi everybody!

i want to firmware update my shruthi-1 (currently 0.94) but when i boot while holding S6, I get the regular browse page.

thanks for the help

Tom

• Ping me back in 10 days to get a replacement chip. There are a few ones around that time (v0.94 time) on which the bootloader has not been correctly flashed.

• I had a laugh thinking the MIDI cable in the pictures looked like a power cable. Don’t forget to plug in your Shruthi-1 prior to attempting a firmware update!

• @pichenettes Sure I will!

• i want to firmware update my shruthi-1 but when i boot while holding S6, I get the regular browse page.

Alex

• Where did you get your Shruthi? Your MCU is probably missing the MIDI bootloader.

• @pichenettes I bought from a friend.
    I upload the new sysex patches via midi and it worked.

• Where did your friend get the MCU?

> I upload the new sysex patches via midi and it worked.

A firmware upgrade is a different kind of operation than a patch transfer.

Since the firmware code cannot rewrite itself, the chip must first be asked to run a special bit of code different from the main firmware – from where it’s safe to do an update. I think this bit of code has not been written on the chip by the person who programmed it.

An airplane might be refueled in flight, but if you want to replace the main engine, you have to do it on the ground :)

• @pichenettes How to make factory reset? synthesizer buggy

• Why do you call a factory reset and why do you think your synth needs that?

What do you mean by “synthesizer buggy”?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion